Mango is one of the delicious seasonal fruits grow in the tropics. Botanically, this exotic fruit belongs within the family of Anacardiaceae.
Health benefits of Mango:
- Mango fruit has been found to protect against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers.
- Mango is a good source of potassium. 100 g fruit provides 156 mg of potassium while just 2 mg of sodium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- Mango fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin-A and flavonoids like beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin. Vitamin A helps maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin, also essential for vision.
- It is also a very good source of vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), vitamin-C and vitamin-E. vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals. Vitamin B-6 or pyridoxine is required for GABA hormone production within the brain. It also controls homocystiene levels within the blood, which may otherwise be harmful to blood vessels resulting in CAD and stroke.
- It also contains copper which is vital in producing red blood cells.